Sunday, May 10, 2009




Finally, some nice weather! The past week was full of sunshine and warmth, although it did rain at least 3 nights. I was able to start the priming on the house and by Friday finished priming the front gable. Quite tedious, painting down into the crack between the fishscale shingles. It does look so clean and crisp though in the coating of white primer.

Additional time was spent tightening up trim boards, cleaning soffit vents and scrubbing trim and soffits on the north side so that can be primed. Gutters have been removed and after painting the new "Rainhandler" system will be installed. Don't know how this will work but it will surely be an improvement over the old gutters which were always full of debris.
I continue to mull over my choice of colors for the gable singles. I have a gallon of "Butterscotch Sauce" color but have not committed fully to the turquoise paint yet. The plan is for 2 shades of turquoise with the butterscotch but I find myself rethinking the color scheme almost daily. Of course I can't actually say I have a better plan, just a bad case of indecision.


I finished the design for the porch brackets and will start cutting those out this week. I played with some designs using leaves and my first design, a "laughing" Rat Terrier. I liked the leaf designs but no one in particular so for a while considered making 6 different designs. In the end however, I decided the brackets should all be the same and I went with the laughing dog design. I found it appealing to be able to call my place "House of the Laughing Dog".
Today I realized that in this process I should replace the soffits on the rear of the house since those were done with a fiberboard material. I will probably replace this with plywood which will give much more stability to the soffit. I considered vinyl soffits but since I am planning to paint the soffits one of the trim colors, that would not be practical. It is amazing how this rolls from one project to another, almost daily something new comes up that really should be done. I wonder where the end of this summer will find me?

1 comment:

My Little Family: said...

Love the house and what you are doing to it! Let's see some dog photos too, LOL.